Thursday, January 7, 2010

Baby Steps

I broke.

Yesterday, in my mess of feeling all garbage-y (yes, a real word), I bought a bottle of soda. Cherry Coke Zero to be precise. And it was good. Good. This is the first soda I’ve purchased in over a week…maybe in over 2.

It’s not the end of the world.

I’ll recycle the bottle, cash in the points, and know that at least I didn’t buy one every day.

Changes are a progression of actions. They lead to an ultimate goal. It’s unreasonable to set a goal of, “I’ll never buy soda again!” Instead, I’ll remember the goal of merely reducing our purchases, not ceasing them.

That’s what we have to remember about changing our ways when it comes to “greening” our environment: everything falls into place when we take small steps rather than trying to change everything at once. When we try to change everything at once, things get hectic, frustration ensues, and, often, we give up.

This Munkii isn’t giving up.

1 comment: